Monday, August 15, 2011

Three Alarm Fire Chicken


File Under: I don't know what I was thinking!

I got this recipe out of a magazine with the article titled 50 ways to make chicken or something like that. Naturally, I circled the hottest one I could find. Let me first tell you that I have made this chicken probably a couple other times before this past Friday night and it is a fabulous easy recipe.

On Friday night, I centered our meal around fresh corn on the cob and really didn't know what else to make with it. So I went to my torn out magazine article and thought, oh spicy chicken would be easy!

Not only did I not follow the directions, but I literally set the alarm off. The smoke alarm. I must have thought we were tough enough to handle 3 times the amount this recipe called for and extra Sriracha sauce on top of that. I also made this on a grill pan instead of baking it as called for.

Have you ever made something so spicy that you just inhale it and cough for 20 minutes? Yeah, that's what I did. And you think that's bad, my husband got a wiff from the living room and was coughing and sneezing as well.

After all the coughing and fanning the smoke alarm to get it to stop beeping we ate that damn chicken! We had to dip it in ranch dressing and honestly it wasn't that good. Needless to say I will follow the recipe again from now on. Sometimes when it comes to spiciness there CAN be too much of a good thing!

Don't be afraid, try it! You'll like it. Just stick to the recipe!

Three Alarm Fire Chicken
Rub mixture over each raw chicken breast

1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp hot sauce

Coat with cooking spray and bake on 350 for 20-25 minutes. Or grill.


Recipe from Women's Health Magazine June 2008.


No comments: