Monday, March 3, 2014

Theme Weekend

I had a really fun themed weekend! A friend suggested we buy some crawfish from Goose the Market's weekly fish order and have a Mardi Gras party. I'm not one to turn down a party, I was happy to oblige.
 
So I started with my décor. I had a few things at home, but bought some extra masks and beads from the dollar store. Great place for cheap décor!
 



We placed our crawfish order on Thursday and picked them up with some Andouille sausage on Saturday morning.

Started drinking Hurricanes Saturday afternoon while prepping the crawfish. If you haven't had a hurricane, they are delicious and powerful. A staple cocktail in New Orleans, made with several shots of dark and light rum and lots of sugar. Sure to give you a buzz and a headache.

Admittedly, I did not do the dirty work. Joe (friend) and Dan (husband) worked hard to clean and crack the mudbugs to get the meat out of them.

Once we got the meat out we all worked together to make a replica of Yat's Chili Cheese Etouffee. We used this recipe and added Andouille sausage. The recipe has a huge list of ingredients, steps, and calories but it was worth it!



We kept the party going Sunday morning with a Cajun breakfast casserole using the rest of our Andouille sausage. I used THIS RECIPE.


Once our Mardi Gras party was over and the headache was gone, I moved on to my next theme for the weekend: Oscar Sunday!! I have always wanted to have a red carpet party for the Oscars and was thrilled to be invited to one this year. I started thinking of what I would want to bring and came up with these cupcakes. Red Carpet Cupcakes! I printed off pictures of the nominees and cut them into circles, taped them to toothpicks and inserted them into red velvet cupcakes. Easy project and a big hit at the party.





No comments: