Monday, February 27, 2012

Cajun Chicken and Rice Soup

I made this for dinner last night and it was awesome! The original recipe seemed like too much work, what with boiling a chicken and all, so I dumbed the recipe down a bit. And by dumb, I mean made it super easy and much quicker. You are welcome!




Cajun Chicken and Rice Soup
Ingredients:
1 Rotisserie Chicken
1 medium onion chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
1 Tbsp Butter
6-8 garlic cloves minced
1 can of Rotel
3/4 cup of Orange Juice
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro
2 Tbsp Cajun Seasoning
1tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried tyme
1/2 tsp ground cumin
2 cups of minute rice (pre cooked)
1 can of Pinto beans rinsed and drained
6 cups of water
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Pick your chicken and discard the bones. While picking, prepare 2 cups of Minute Rice according to the package.
2. In a large stockpot saute onion, celery, and garlic in butter. Once tender, stir in tomatoes, OJ,  cilantro, all seasonings, and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes
3. Stir in chicken, drained beans and finished rice. Cook for another 10 minutes or so, until beans are soft.

Enjoy!

**NOTE- I added chopped jalapeno, and a couple drops of Sriracha sauce to make it hotter. Also if I made this again I would cut back the amount of beans as my husband and I do not particularly like them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea!