Wednesday, November 9, 2016

13.1


I did it! I wasn't sure I would be able to say that, but I DID IT!!!! Over the last few years I have watched countless friends run half marathons and always wondered if it was something I could also do. I started running this past summer and kept adding miles. I ran during my lunch break and on weekends. As I added miles my knees began to hurt and I wasn't sure I could continue. I went to see a PT and began doing strength exercises, icing, and massaging. The most I ran in my training was 9 miles, so I was nervous about making it to 13.1.

The race was so much fun! I met my cousin who happened to be in town running the race too and we started together. Running with a crowd cheering you along is MUCH easier than alone. Dan, Roman and our friend Ross came to cheer me on around mile 7, which really helped! I wanted to walk several times, but kept going! Miles 10-13 were the worst.

I finished and ran the half in 2:16. I'm pleased with my final time and pace. My goal was to finish under 2:30 and not to walk. I accomplished both! I know so much more about training now and if I do it again I will strength train as well to help with knee pain and  hopefully a faster pace. It was hard as hell and I don't know how my friends do this over and over again. It was a great experience!












No comments: