Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Grey and Pink Color block dress

One of my sorority sisters got married this past weekend and we attended her wedding. Weeks before I started stressing over what dress I would wear. Of course I have a closet full of dresses, but I don't get to see my friends from IU that often so I wanted something special. I started making a floral dress, which I really liked, but about 3/4 of the way done and a week before the wedding I decided it wasn't formal enough. I looked everywhere and couldn't find a dress I liked, when I came up with the idea to make this dress using some fabric I had in my stash.

I spent the entire week making this dress coming home from work and working on it for a few hours every night. I should just double the time I think something will take to make because nothing is ever a quick sew.

I really liked the way it turned out! I didn't get a picture of the full dress at the wedding, just an awesome selfie in the mirror.

Dusty mirror pic.

You can tell from this picture that the bodice band is too big at the top. This is because I didn't follow the pattern. See below in my sewing notes.

 
Sewing Notes:
I used Simplicity 2176 for the bodice. I did not follow the pattern for the top band and therefore bodice was too long. Lesson learned. I used Simplicity 2512 for the skirt. This is my new favorite skirt pattern. I love the tulip shape and the pockets are the best!!
 
 



2 comments:

Amanda aka Manda said...

I'm so glad you posted this! I was wondering if you made it or not when I saw the pictures on FB.

Regine Karpel said...

It's beautiful!
www.rsrue.blogspot.com