Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Jambalaya

Happy Fat Tuesday!! Did everyone eat up today? I certainly did. I'm giving up candy, which I have done for the last few years. I have only made it all 40 days once, but I am determined to do it again this year. In preparation I ate as much candy as I could today. Which explains my ginormous headache and sluggish workout.  To say I love candy (and anything mostly sugar) would be an understatement. Wish me luck!

In the spirit of Fat Tuesday and Mardi Gras, I made Jambalaya tonight. It was amazing, if I do say so myself! I got the recipe from my friend Danielle and tweaked it a bit to make it spicier. See below.


Jambalaya 
 
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tbls oil
28 oz can diced tomatoes 
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1 cup minute rice uncooked
Meat-- use a 1 lb turkey smoked sausage, shrimp or you can also used diced ham.
 
In a large pot saute onion, green pepper and garlic powder in the oil.  Once sauted, stir in tomatoes, sausage, water, seasonings and rice.  Heat to boiling.  Reduce heat and boil gently uncovered for 10 minutes.  Add your shrimp.  Return to a boil and boil for 1 minute.  Prep time- 15 minutes, cook time - about 10 minutes.

Directions to make it HOT! 
I only had one 14oz can of tomatoes so I used a can of Rotel too. I also chopped up jalapenos and added Sriracha sauce. 





No comments: